We eat a lot of tomatoes in our house, and so we buy big tins of tomatoes. Ok, the real reason we buy them is you can make cool things from big tins,
Once it’s washed out, filled with water and frozen, the fun can begin. I start off by using a hammer and nail on the frozen tin to punch a ring of holes around the top and bottom edges, and in the bottom of the can. The bit of masking tape is a guide to help me get the holes roughly equal distance round the edges.
Once I’d finished the rows of holes, I punched out star shaped patterns, big and small, including one in the base. I then painted it, wanting to create an ombre effect, starting at turquoise and moving towards pale green by adding yellow. The paint I used is acrylic paint mixed with PVA to make it more durable.
Here’s the base with it’s star shape punched out.
I then sprayed the inside with copper spray paint as a contrast and to hopefully add a warm glow to the light.
Now I decided to add some hanging decoration, so I used a long needle to sew yarn streamers through the holes I’d punched in the bottom edge earlier. I’ve also added a wire hanger at the top, which you can’t see in this picture. My tip is if you don’t have thick enough wire, fold a long strand of thinner wire in half and twist up, it makes it both thicker and look pretty.
I’m using a bag of little pom-poms I made previously, in a mix of jolly colours to match and contrast with the can. You can thread them onto the yarn strings simply by threading the needle through the centre of each in turn, and they’ll pretty much stay where you put them.
Once I’d got the pom-poms on, I decided I needed some beads too, both to add a but of weight and sparkle. I couldn’t find any I liked which were cheap enough on line, but the Cat’s Protection came up trumps with some cheap as chips bead bracelets I could take apart to use.
If you thread the beads onto the yarn and then stitch back though to knot it, it should hold the beads on fine, and if not just keep stitching over the first knot until you have a big enough one to hold the beads in place.
Some of the strands I finished with clusters of beads, others I made simple yarn tassels to add a different look and texture. Also, you get left with a lot of ends when trimming off, so waste not, want not!
I even added yarn tassels to the top of the tin as well. I would add that it would probably be safer to use battery lights rather than naked flames if you’re going to do this, as the tin may get a little warm otherwise.
I really love all the different colours and textures, by basically choosing tones of the same intensity, I find you can mix pretty much any colours together and the work – these are what I would call bright pastels, nothing too dark but light, sunny colours.
And here it is, my finished luminere. I intend to hang it in the garden when I get a moment, and will be making more. And we’ll be eating a lot of tomato pasta!